Bands and charges

Every home has to be placed in a band for Council Tax purposes.

Your band is calculated based on what your property was worth on 1 April 1991, not what it would be worth today.

Check your property banding on the website.

Appealing against your Council Tax band

If you think you’re in the wrong band you can appeal by contacting the valuation office agency.

You can appeal against the Council Tax band that your property has been placed in if:

  • you believe that the banding should be changed because of an increase or reduction in the value of the property due to building work being carried out, for example, demolition or converting the property to flats
  • you start or stop using part of your dwelling to carry out a business, or the balance between domestic and business use changes
  • there are physical changes in the locality affecting the value
  • a band change has been made to your property made by the listing officer in the last six months
  • a band change has been made within the last six months to a similar property to yours by the valuation tribunal
  • within six months of becoming a new taxpayer

Reductions or increases in value resulting from the general state of the housing market do not affect the banding of your property.

Challenge your Council Tax band via the website.

Making an appeal does not give you the legal right to withhold payment of your Council Tax. You should continue to pay as you have been billed. If your appeal is successful any over-payment will be refunded to you.

Council tax charges

Check the Council Tax charges for 1 April 2020 to 31 March 2021 and find out about how your money is spent.

Council tax is used to fund the police, fire and rescue services and to pay for Nottinghamshire County Council services as well as those provided by Newark and Sherwood Council.