Support for older people
Many of our services are provided specially for older people – from getting out and about to volunteering in the community, healthy lifestyle advice to keeping safe in your home, benefits advice and more.
More information about what the District Council and our partners can do for you is listed below.
Getting out and about
- National Civil War Centre - your local museum in Newark
- Palace Theatre - for drama, music, workshops and films
- Parks and gardens - woodland, lakes, crafts and cafés
- Local events - events to delight and entertain you!
- Nature reserves to visit in the district
- Markets and shopping - local markets in Newark and Southwell
- Food Hygiene Rating System - food hygiene scores for local restaurants, pubs and cafés
- Healthy eating - getting the balance right!
- Healthy lifestyles
- MIND - how to improve your mental wellbeing
- Flu jabs - NHS advice
- Social care - link to Nottinghamshire County Council
- Dementia support - local support for anyone with memory problems
- NHS Choices - health A to Z and advice
- Nottinghamshire Health Care - local health services
- NHS Nottingham and Nottinghamshire CCG
- Over the Rainbow Group for advice and support to those who have or are caring for a person with Parkinson's disease. Contact Sandra on 01636 812 399 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Pensions and retirement planning
- Disability benefits
- Housing benefit and council tax support
- Council tax discounts
- Age UK
- Find a reliable trader - buy with confidence website
- Consumer rights
- Nottinghamshire Help Yourself - information and support for communities across Nottinghamshire
- Parkinson's - provides a wealth of information about all aspects of living with Parkinson's. For anyone not wanting to use the internet they can contact Julia on 0344 225 3792
- Volunteering in Nottinghamshire - advice from Nottinghamshire County Council
- Palace Theatre Newark volunteers
- National Civil War Centre volunteers
- Register to vote - have your say on how we do things!
- Contact your district councillor
- Green living and recycling - what we do at Newark and Sherwood
- Nottinghamshire library service - Join your local library or order online
- Local arts groups - find a new hobby or creative group to join
- Newark Chauntry Group is a friendly group for older people where you can meet new friends, have fun in good company, keep your mind and body active as well as discovering fresh new interests. The group meets every Friday at 12.45pm at Newark Library.
- Evergreens - a group which aims to reach out to the senior citizens of Ollerton and surrounding areas and to provide fellowship and support for them. The group meets at the Lifespring Centre, Ollerton on Thursdays at 10.30am. For more details call 01623 860 303.