Business growth and support
If your business is based in Newark and Sherwood, we can offer a range of essential and helpful support, including:
- advice on business rates payable and on charitable and rate relief
- providing a range of commercial property to let to small and medium-sized businesses – mainly workshop premises, but also offices and retail units
- room hire at a number of local venues for meetings, training and away days
- help with permits for industrial activities that could harm the environment or human health
- advice on starting a food business, including registration and food safety management
- helping you understand the risks from crime and supporting you through CCTV, shop watch and pub watch
- support and start-up assistance for new traders at Newark and Southwell markets
- season tickets for Newark and Southwell car parks and also parking for HGVs at Newark lorry park
- discounted membership packages for businesses at leisure centres throughout the district
- grounds maintenance services, including opportunities for corporate responsibility volunteering and sponsorship of ornamental planting
- help with business finances including loans, debt advice and help with paying tax and National Insurance
Contact us for more information about any of the schemes and support on this page.
Business advice and support
The D2N2 growth hub is a vital network for ambitious businesses across Derby, Derbyshire, Nottingham and Nottinghamshire. The Growth Hub team includes expert advisers who give free, and impartial advice to help businesses grow. This support is available to start-ups, growing businesses and companies who are ready to scale up their operations. Visit the D2N2 growth hub website for more details.
Our growth delivery service can also help if you’re a growing business and need to find new business premises. Get in touch by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
Entrepreneur Handbook is an information website containing expert advice for entrepreneurs and small businesses in the UK. Their extensive content library covers every aspect of starting and running a business including marketing, finance, sales, human resources, management and more.
HM Revenue & Customs business payment support service is designed to meet the needs of businesses affected by the current economic conditions. Contact them on 0845 302 1435.
East Midlands chamber provide information and advice supporting business members. Contact them on 01246 207 207.
We work closely with other local authorities such as Nottinghamshire County Council, ensuring that you get the best support available in relation to services such as local highways and road improvements. Local business clubs including Newark Business Club also provide useful support.
Speak to our employment and skills support team for recruitment support including pre-interview training, interview advice and job fairs.
Education and skills
Part of the Nottingham Trent University, Brackenhurst Campus is set in a beautiful 200 hectare country estate in Southwell. The campus offers a specialist animal unit, veterinary nursing centre, equestrian centre and Glasshouse complex.
Lincoln College has a campus based in Newark town centre. We work with the college to support businesses with training and recruiting apprentices, as well as upskilling your current workforce through NVQs and accredited training courses.
Local health initiatives
Health is important for both businesses and the community. Nottinghamshire has a number of initiatives that could benefit your business.
This free, countywide scheme aims to improve the health and wellbeing of the working population in Nottinghamshire, encouraging and maximising health and wellbeing opportunities for employers and their staff. Find out more about Wellbeing@work.
We’re encouraging businesses and venues within Nottinghamshire to sign up to being breastfeeding friendly as part of action to provide more welcoming and positive environments for breastfeeding mothers. This follows feedback from local Mums that one of the main reasons they stopped breastfeeding was 'fear of negative comments and confrontation in public’.
Healthier Options Takeaway (HOT)
We’re increasing the accessibility and awareness of healthier options in takeaway outlets and workplace canteens through our HOT scheme. We’re also working with and encouraging local food businesses to provide healthier food options on their menus. Find out more about Healthier Options Takeaway accreditation.