Storm Babet information

Grants to properties affected by Storm Babet now closed

Applications to the Government's schemes offered to homes affected by Storm Babet are now closed.

Property Flood Resilience (PFR) Repair Grant Funding

Please note we are still awaiting some information and guidance regarding the PFR grant funding, please be assured that if you have submitted an expression of interest we have received this and will contact you soon, once we have received this information. 

Residential and business properties that were flooded during Storm Babet may be eligible for support from the Government through a £5,000 grant from DEFRA’s PFR Repair Grant funding. You can find more information on the Government’s response on their website.

There is a strict key funding criteria to access funding. Please consider the key criteria below before applying.

Key Criteria

  • Only applies to properties flooded during Storm Babet (19.10.23 to 25.10.23)
  • Property owners will need to apply for the grant to their own local District or Borough Council.
  • Property owners must have reported their flooded property to their local District or Borough Council or via Nottinghamshire County Council Flood Team or telephone Amy Perry (0115 8042163)
  • A property survey is required and the maximum reimbursement for the survey under the scheme is £500. Any survey costs above £500 must be met by you.
  • Where you proceed with remedial works, a remaining grant of up to £4,500 (inc VAT) per affected property, may be awarded.
  • Where you do not proceed with remedial works, all costs incurred must be met by you.
  • Properties which have previously received PFR Repair Grant funding are not eligible to apply again, unless exceptional circumstances apply; please speak with your own local District or Borough Council if this applies to you. Change of property ownership does not permit additional PFR funding.

The funding is a contribution of a maximum of £5,000 (inc VAT). You will be liable for all costs above £5,000.

Help with securing suitably qualified contractors

Nottinghamshire County Council are seeking to procure suitably qualified contractors to undertake the survey and works which will achieve the best value cost for property owners and protect from rogue traders.

We strongly discourage property owners from commissioning their own surveyors/contractors as in order to meet the scheme eligibility, contractors must be suitably qualified.

How do you apply?

If you wish to submit an expression of interest, please complete our online information form available here.

Once prospective costs have been finalised, we will contact you again.

More information can be found on the Nottinghamshire County Council website (Opens in a New Window).

Guidance for those affected by flooding

Check with your insurance company

If you live in rented accommodation, you should contact your landlord. You may have two insurance providers if you have separate home and contents cover.

Follow your insurance company’s advice as they may need to visit your property to assess any claims.

You should also let us know at the District Council to help us to direct any support as it becomes available and so we can check up how you’re doing.

Check if you can return home.

You may need to have your property checked by utilities companies before you can turn gas, electricity or water back on.

Be aware that floodwater can contain harmful substances like sewage, chemicals and animal waste which could make you unwell. If you come into contact with flood water, wash your hands thoroughly.

Starting the clean up.

If you have insurance, please check with them before undertaking any work yourself. Document the damage to your home and if possible take photographs to show any damage and record the flood water height.

Follow the advice you are given by your insurance company. Do not dispose of any items until you are sure that your insurance company is happy for you to do so.

Floodwater can leave hidden dangers, such as dislodging items or leaving behind harmful substances. Please take extra care and follow strict hygiene rules at all times.

Disposing of damaged items.

Your insurance company may help with the disposal of large items or provide you with a skip.

However, if you need help disposing of belongings damaged by flooding including large items, call us on 01636 650 000 Monday to Friday 9am to 5pm to arrange collection. Please note upholstery and electrical items are collected separately.

Financial assistance

Financial assistance is available to apply for.

You can apply for the Community Recovery Grant of up to £500 per household and the Council Tax discount scheme which is a 100% discount on your Council Tax for at least 3 months. Alternatively please contact us via telephone or our online chat feature if you have any questions or need any help completing the form.

If you’re facing any financial hardship and need advice, you can contact your local Citizens’ Advice. There are drop in sessions in locations around Newark and Sherwood. To find your nearest location, visit the citizens advice website.

Emotional support

If you have been affected by the floods and need help or support there may be groups in your area who can help. You can download a list of local support organisations from the ‘Resident health and wellbeing’ section of our website.

Don’t overdo it when cleaning up and remember it’s quite normal to feel tired and anxious or to have difficulty sleeping in times like these.

If you or a family member are concerned about mental health or any other health issues make an appointment with your GP.

If you are finding it difficult to cope and want to talk with someone the Samaritans are available 24 hours a day: 08457 90 90 90.

Useful websites

Newark and Sherwood District Council

Nottinghamshire County Council

Government guidance on cleaning your home safely following a flood

Citizens Advice, Sherwood and Newark

How We Help – National Flood Forum

Follow us on Facebook and X (formerly Twitter) for the latest updates.

Version 3: 13 December 2023