Internal audit and inspections
The internal audit service to the Council is currently provided under contract by Assurance Lincolnshire.
It is a statutory requirement that local authorities have an adequate internal audit function, in accordance with the Local Government Act 1972 (s.151) and the The Accounts and Audit (England) Regulations 2011.
The constitution of the Council also sets out the responsibilities of the service within the financial regulations (PDF File, 798kb).
What does the internal audit process involve?
The service provides all appropriate internal audit functions in accordance with the CIPFA Code of Practice for Internal Audit in Local Government in the United Kingdom 2006.
The core service provided is to appraise and report on the adequacy of systems employed by management to secure:
- compliance with external and internal regulations
- achievement of goals and objectives
- reliability and integrity of management information
- efficient and effective use of resources
- security of assets
The audit team reviews the:
- effectiveness of internal controls within the organisation
- soundness, adequacy and application of the system controls established by management
- measures taken by management to protect the organisation from waste, extravagance or poor value for money
- that the organisation's assets and interests are accounted for and safeguarded from loss
The service also provides an advisory service to managers and undertakes special investigations and ad-hoc assignments if requested.
Other audit provisions
The Council is also subject to various inspections and audit from external bodies including Mazars who are currently our external auditors.
Audit and accounts committee
Our audit and accounts committee is currently made up of six elected members.
The purpose of this committee is to:
- oversee the arrangements for the maintenance of the Council’s internal control framework and to review
- approve the Council’s published accounts
This includes a review of the work of the Council’s internal and external auditors, taking any decisions necessary to ensure that their recommendations are acted upon appropriately.
Internal audit reports
Internal audit submit reports to the audit and accounts committee covering the audit plan, audit reports issued and an end of year report giving a statement as to the overall control environment.
Other reports may be issued on an ad-hoc basis throughout the year.
All these reports are available within the committee area of the website - select the ‘search documents’ tab and look for internal audit.
If you have any questions about this process, email us on firstname.lastname@example.org or call 01636 655317 and ask for internal audit.