Advice for private landlords

We work with local landlords and agents to ensure responsible renting through advice and encouragement.

Although many landlords already have well-managed properties, others may need advice and assistance to enable them to run their business correctly, ensuring they meet their legal obligations.

If you’re thinking about renting your property, download the LACORS landlord leaflet (PDF File, 400kb).

Useful information can also be found in the national private rented sector code of practice or on the government website

If you’re seeking tenants for your property, as well as free support throughout the tenancy, we may be able to help through our RealHome service.

Fire safety

National guidance is available providing advice on keeping residential buildings safe from fire. Landlords who follow this guidance and correctly carry our fire risk assessments will be well placed to satisfy requirements set out under fire safety legislation.

Download the LACORS Fire Safety leaflet for more information.

Gas safety

Landlords must ensure all gas appliances and flues provided for tenants are safe. They must also be subject to an annual safety check carried out only by a Gas Safe registered engineer.

Find out more about gas safety from the Health and Safety Executive, or visit the Gas Safe Register website.

Electrical safety

Landlords must ensure all electrical installations in their rented properties are inspected and tested by a qualified and competent person at an interval of at least every 5 years. 

Find out more about landlord responsibilities for electrical safety from the Electrical Safety First organisation.


By law, rented dwellings must have suitable space for the number of people living in them. Assessment should consider space for sleeping, living, cooking, dining, usable space for studying, as well as washing and sanitary accommodation. Where appropriate, it should also consider external amenity and recreation space, including suitable and safe outdoor play space for children.

Download the LACORS guidance on crowding and space (PDF File, 1,198kb) or get in touch for more information.

Houses in multiple occupation (HMOs)

There are a number of specific requirements for landlords operating houses of multiple occupation and a mandatory licensing scheme for particular high risk properties. Visit our houses in multiple occupation page for more information.

Landlord accreditation scheme

If you’re a landlord who is serious about setting, achieving and minting high standards then consider seeking accreditation for your activities. Take a look at the DASH landlord accreditation scheme as a marker of quality service.

Call B4 You Serve

Are you struggling with tenants or even considering giving them notice? If so, Call B4 You Serve might be able to help find a better outcome for everyone.

This specialist Council service is free of charge and aims to help landlords with:

  • rent arrears
  • mediation between you and your tenants
  • communication issues
  • advice on leasing properties to supported housing providers
  • housing benefit and universal Credit issues
  • helping tenants to maximise their income

Find out more about Call B4 you Serve online or call 01332 642368


The Council ensures that private sector homes, both privately rented and owner-occupied, are of good quality and meet the current legal standards. Complaints of disrepair and housing safety issues are investigated.